Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Welcome!

I guess the purpose of this blog is to just record some interesting conversations I've had, some conversations I've had in my head, and some other thoughts I've had.

A bit about me: I'm a 21 yr old, tall, blond, awesome girl living in California, alternating between Davis and Los Angeles. I have incredible ADD and a very active imagination. I also pay way to much attention to the meanings in people's words, often getting lost while obsessing over them. Anywho, I hope you enjoy, I think this should be a humorous adventure.

Post 1: A test of bravery

This is not a diary so I won't be getting into the actual story behind all this, but I recently discovered I rather like girls.

Over the last few weeks, I have been eyeing stalking the super cute girl that works at my grocery store god I hope she doesn't read this. She was also obviously gay, which is good!

Our first conversation went like this:
1. I get in line to check out
2. I get up to front and pay for two bottles of vodka
3. she says, 'that's a lot of alcohol'
4. I smile and say, 'Ya, my friends are having a party.'
5. I'm smitten
6. (yes I know I'm ridiculous)



After that, our encounters went like this:
1. I get in line to check out
2. I think of a million things I'd like to say ('you look really nice today,' 'I love your haircut,' 'sorry if this is forward, but would you like to get coffee or drinks sometime?' etc)
3. I get to front and she rings me up
4. I smile and/or say 'hi'
5. She smiles and/or says 'hi'
6. I leave and mentally bitch slap myself

After weeks of this, it got to the point where there was one week of school left before I went home to LA. I was not going to let this chance pass without saying SOMETHING.

I went to the store on Saturday. As a sidenote: this store is actually on the opposite side of Davis from me, yet I went on an almost daily basis hoping she'd be working. In my head, which is a romantic comedy, this is incredibly romantic and cute. However, I realize that in reality this might come off as creepy and stalkerish.

Back to the story. I found her sorting apples in the produce section. I started to walk over, but lost my nerve and stopped short at the nectarines, spending a good 5-10 minutes picking the very best nectarines that I didn't need, but they were delicious.

I made my way over to apples again, but ended up overshooting and found myself all the way by the pineapples. I spent another 5 minutes analyzing the pineapples, but decided against buying one.

Take three. I actually talked to her! But only to ask 'um, where are the pink ladies?' ....they were right next to me.



Spent another 5 minutes picking pink ladies.

Then she left to go to the back and I assume collect more fruit. I began furiously texting a friend of mine that I couldn't believe how much of a coward I was being. This was not the first time I'd asked someone out before... (well not entirely true, she was the first GIRL I'd tried to ask out). My friend told me she would slap me across the face if I didn't say something, ANYTHING. This was good encouragement not to get slapped.

I went to the office supply section and picked up a pack of sharpies and a notebook. Opened the pens and wrote my name and number on a piece of paper that I tore out of the notebook.

Holding the slip of paper, I looked around the aisle and she was back in produce, now unloading oranges. So I walked over again. Stopped. Turned around. Looked at bell peppers for a minute. Turned around and walked over after repeating 3 more times.

I made it! I made it to her, and she was looking at me. 'Hi, um, maybe you can help me with something ersss..... else' (talking is hard ok). 'This is for you.' I hand her my piece of paper. She looks down, sees it's a phone number and smiles. 'If you want to get coffee or something.' I smiled. And she smiled bigger.

'Ok, thanks.' She replied. The smile on her face was INCREDIBLE. I'd never in my life seen a smile that was so utterly and completely fantastic and warm and exciting and euphoric and it lit up her whole face. I was high off that smile for two days.



Then I turned around and walked away, still smiling, her still smiling, everyone happy. Stick around to here her say 'no' to my face? no thanks. I'd like to keep the smile imprinted on my brain. So I just walked away, bought my $25 of unnecessary fruit and pens and notebook, and left the store.

3 days later... Tuesday.

I receive this text:
Hi Ashley. This is Kat (her), your friendly produce clerk. You undoubtedly made my day when you came in, but because I'm currently in a relationship, I'll have to ask for a raincheck on that coffee. Nevertheless, I applaud your bravery as well as your impeccable taste in apples (pink ladies are my fav). Take care, and please continue to come through my line :]

I've never been so flattered and disappointed all at once. Here's how I read this text:
Hi Kerri. This is Kat, your friendly produce clerk. <-- Spiderman reference? (friendly neighborhood spider man) = nerd???
You undoubtedly made my day when you came in <-- :D, she clearly liked me
but BECAUSE I'm CURRENTLY in a relationship <-- not to do with me but that she has a gf, and currently? as in maybe not in the future?? was that a hint to me or just added because it made the sentence sound better or was she just being nice?
I'll have to ask for a raincheck on that coffee <-- as in she'll contact me later when she's not in a relationship or just politely saying 'no'?
I applaud your bravery <-- nice to have one's accomplishments recognized :)
impeccable taste in apples (pink ladies are my fav) <-- flirty perhaps? making a connection through our mutual love of pink ladies? (and mutual love of ladies :P)
Take care <-- oddly impersonal considering the rest of the text...
please continue to come through my line :] <-- she wants to keep seeing me around, perhaps a 'keeping her options open' thing?


I realize that I'm probably really over analyzing this. It's what I do. Just felt very open ended to me. And why would it take her 3 days to respond if the answer was an automatic 'no' because she's taken? Very odd. Anywho, I have many more stories, not usually so analytical either.

I hope you come back! And please, comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment